Sunday, September 20, 2015

Seed Saving - Fall 2015

While consulting some of my favourite blogs to try and figure out what to do with my bumper crop of tomatoes, I came across this post on Margaret Roach's blog "A Way to Garden" about saving tomato seeds.  As I had sown the last of my purchased seeds earlier this year, I thought I would try saving some of the seeds from my own tomatoes for use next spring.

A couple of years ago, I tried an experiment by saving the seedy glop from a few grocery store tomatoes just to see what would happen, but all I ended up with was a smelly, moldy mess.  So I threw it all out and figured it was better just to purchase seed from reputable sources.

Until I happened across Margaret's post and decided to try again.  The smelly, moldy mess is actually part of the process, although there is a better way to manage it as you'll see if you check out Margaret's post.

Managing the smelly, moldy mess

Processed seeds drying on paper plates before storing



With a little luck some of these seeds will be viable and I'll have some second-generation tomato plants next year.  I am particularly excited about the Black Brandywine "Cherry" seeds as the plant appeared in my garden seemingly out of the blue this year.  It'll be great if I can grow them again next year.  Fingers crossed and we'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment