Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Barometer of Autumn


I love autumn!  The lazy, languorous dog days of summer are gone and the air is fresh and crisp.  Time to harvest and get the garden ready for winter.  Cool nights with the windows left open a crack are wonderful for sleeping, snuggled under blankets and duvets once again.  Sweaters and jackets come out and as much as it's a slowing down for the vegetation around me, I can't help but feel energized and renewed.  Vacations are over, school has started and a new cycle has begun.

The maple tree in the picture above is off the end of my back yard in my neighbour's yard on the next street over.  It is always, without fail, the first tree in the neighbourhood to start changing colour and it always changes from the top down.   In another 10 days or so, it should be pretty much completely changed.  It's my barometer of autumn and I always know that fall has truly arrived when this tree starts its transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment