Sunday, October 4, 2015

The End (finally!) of the Tomatoes

Well, here it is:  the absolute bitter end of my tomatoes for this year.


Sixteen pounds in total, some of which are starting to ripen as you can see but I'm calling them green anyway.  I used about four pounds for the Green Tomato Chutney we made on the weekend, so that leaves about 12 pounds.

What to do?  Well, I thought I would try something different with these and make (are you ready?) ...

Green Tomato Wine!  I know, I know, "ewwww!" right?  But, I came across this recipe and, wine making enthusiast that I am, I was immediately intrigued.  I haven't made wine in a number of years, haven't had the space set up for making it until very recently and I thought this would be an ideal way to start back into it while using up this glut of unripe tomatoes.  The recipe actually calls for 12 pounds of tomatoes, so how cool is that? Serendipity anyone?

But not quite yet as Thanksgiving is looming ahead and for the first time in many years, I am hosting! So among all the other preparations, I must do a HUGE housecleaning and remove the evidence of the canning escapades from the last 6 weeks or so.

All this to say that for now I will freeze the tomatoes in freezer bags to save them for a few weeks until I am ready to start the wine and that, my friends, will be featured in a future post.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment